Non-bantam OEGs? (LF)

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ChestnutRidge, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I've read that OEGs, as opposed to OEGBs or bantams, are consistently broody. (Has anyone heard otherwise?) However, I cannot seem to find anyone who breeds them! (Other than hatcheries, which I don't want.) Does anyone know of anyone selling hatching eggs (or, even better, pullets in VA [​IMG] ) of LF OEGs?

I want a broody with excellent foraging skills and not necessarily so much fluff... [​IMG]

2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Alot of people think game hens go broody easily.In the 15+ years of raising and handling gamebirds...it's our experience they are not consistantly broody.You may find some that are good brooders,but not often. I've seen lots of game hens losing their happy homes lately because of this ... Lots of times if you can find a gamebird breeder around,you can buy hens from them pretty cheap for this reason.

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Okay. Are those birds bantams or LF? Are the breeders getting rid of the hens that do brood, or those that don't?
    I apologize if I am being a bit dense. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by