Non-broody surrogate silkie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by namastemama, Dec 10, 2012.

1. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some silkie eggs in my Brinsea right now and two lone silkie hens that are about a year old. Neither are broody, nor have they ever gone broody. I wonder would it be a disaster to think about trying to get them to care for the new babies?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If a hen is not broody it's highly unlikely she'll adopt chicks. I'm not saying it's impossible, as stranger things have happened with chickens, but I wouldn't try it. A hen can easily kill or badly injure a small chick.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I might try it but in a controlled way. You can put hens and chicks in close proximity but with small-hole fencing between them. If they peep and she goes clucking and pacing at the fence, then you can move her to their side but still stand ready until they've bonded. If the hen doesn't respond (which is likely since she's never gone broody), you simply go about the business of brooding them yourself since you may well have two hens with no interest in rearing chicks.

4. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try the fencing idea. It's worth a shot, if not no harm done and they can live in the bath tub, if it doesn't work out.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would try putting a bunch of golf balls in your nesting box, and see if they get excited about all those "eggs." Maybe it will make them get in that broody mood.

I wouldn't give chicks to a non broody hen.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    This is also a great idea. When is your hatch date?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by