Non-crowing rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jyurina, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jyurina

jyurina Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    So here is my boy Slo-fro[​IMG]He is a pretty boy but he is also our "special" chicken. He got stuck in the egg due to a chick emergency in the incubator from an earlier hatchling. I helped him out but he has always been a little slower than the others. We managed to get 5 roosters out of our hatch of 6 and until we culled the other roos he was a skinny shy guy. Now he is beautiful, very happy with the one pullet and gaining weight. But he doesn't crow. I'm not complaining-not crowing saved his life since we can't have roos where we live, but it's kinda weird. All the other roos were crowing up a storm for weeks before we got rid of them. He hatched in the middle of July so he is more than old enough. Do you think he will stay quiet? He makes all kinds of other noises and talks to me when he comes to get a cuddle. We have also determined that he is almost completely blind in his right eye but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he does not crow, you will have a rare bird for sure. He was very likely subordinated by the other roosters resulting in lowered testosterone levels - he is starting to mature, and sadly enough will most likely crow eventually.

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    my rooster just turned a year old, and just last week he started crowing!! (thank goodness bc i love to hear them crow, i have ten roosters so its crow-crow-crow-crow- and so on ALL the day long. lol)

4. zstewart123

zstewart123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    St Amant ,Louisiana
    Shoot, I wish. My roo has insomnia! All day, all night. my wife is ready for some Gumbo!.

5. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    Still have my fingers crossed for a silent roo. He is so sweet and pretty. I am not supposed to have roos at all in our area but noone is going to complain if they can't hear him!

6. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    UPDATE: He crowed, once about three days ago. He has a low gravelly voice so I am not really upset about it. His extremely clumsy attempts to be "amorous" are pretty funny especially since my tiny bantam is rather forceful about her feeling on that and he has been chased around the chicken yard numerous times at this point. But I wouldn't mind having the option of chicks from those two[​IMG]

7. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    He might not crow too much since he's the only roo now. When we had more roos, they all got each other going and would keep crowing back and forth. Now that we've downsized on the roos, there is a lot less crowing going on and they don't start as early in the morning as they used to.

8. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    Well I hope not. The neighbors were cool with the other ones but it was winter and the sun didn't go up till 6am. Herein Phoenix we don't do daylight savings time so in the middle of summer we might have the sun coming up right after 5 am[​IMG]Not sure I could convince my neighbors that it was still a great sound that early.

9. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    I'm in AZ too, so I know what you mean about the early sun. We are still waiting to see if as the sun starts coming up earlier if our rooster starts crowing too early. Right now it's usually around 7:30-8 although once he did crow at 7. Even though we are allowed to have roosters here, one of our neighbors has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't tolerate roosters crowing that early. We will try to respect that just to keep the peace. If it becomes a problem, we will start using our cock box that we made.

10. jyurina

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix AZ
    We started our flock with a hatch from an incubator and got 1 hen and 5 roos. The one dominant roo was crowing occasionally at 4am!!! We had to cull the others because they were either SO LOUD or in the case of two of them they were super aggressive toward me and my family-we don't tolerate mean chickens around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by