non egg laying hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stumble_n_mumble, Jul 3, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Songster

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have a year and 3 month old swedish hen that has not layed an egg yet! i have no idea what is going on..... it is definitely a girl she has a big belly and she is SOOOO loud louder than any of my other ducks. lol could she just be some kind of sterile or something???

2. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I had a Cochin chicken once who didn't lay until she was 5 months old. I was starting to wonder if she was a he, but nope, she was a she! [​IMG]

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    yeah but this is a year and 3 month old. thats 15 months old. lol mine has 10 more months on your cochin and hasnt layed an egg yet.... lol

4. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oh, I didn't see the year part. [​IMG] Well, I don't know what's up then. [​IMG]

5. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    maybe she is infertile? does that happen in the duck world hens that dont lay?

6. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have no idea. all i know is when i rescued her as a baby she was hatched by some teacher and there was over 500 they hatched. for what i have no idea. so who knows with in breeding and whatever.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    We have a large pond and had some cross domestic ducks on it. In years past we wouldn't start finding eggs until they were almost two. We resently got some more ducks as we don't have those anymore and from researching and reading on here I found that wasn't the norm. I'm excited because my two girls just turned 14 weeks so I hope for eggs soon.
    Could your duck hide a nest anywhere, or are there other ducks she is with who are laying so you just think she isn't laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: