Non Electric dehumidifier

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angels4, Dec 28, 2009.

1. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand the importance of making sure the coop is well ventilated to help with humidity inside the coop, sometimes during the winter I feel the inside of the coop damp be a little damp. I was thinking of trying a silica gel dehumidifier. Does anybody have any experience with these and do you think it might work?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    People have used these in the past, in a pinch, but I cannot recommend them because:

--the gel is toxic and if your chickens got into it, would be a disaster.
    --would be an expensive way to address the problem over time.
    --if you have humidity problems, you have a design issue that you need to address to really fix the problem. For instance, you may not have enough ventilation, which is really important to have. Or you are directly on the ground, in a wet climate, so moisture is rising into the coop. Or you have a buildup of poo, which can put off a lot of humidity.

If you can give specifics about your coop, size, number of chickens, ventilation holes, etc... we could probably give you some better answers for addressing humidity.

3. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    use them in a closet but for a coop you would need a lot, maybe you need more venting

4. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thought it might be a good idea, but it won't be needed. My coop was feeling damp because I was keeping the waterer inside to help prevent it from freezing and it was causing some unwanted humidity, since I've moved the waterer back into the run I've had no more moisture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by