1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

non electric heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cleo, Jun 21, 2007.

1. cleo

cleo New Egg

Jun 21, 2007
    any suggestions for keeping three chicks warm at night without electricity? (short of sleeping with them [​IMG]

2. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I'm sure someone else will post some good ideas. I wouldn't have had any myself except that the power went out the second week for quite a few hours, and we were worried about them.

I got a gallon jug and filled it with very-warm water and placed that in the brooder. I replaced it after a few hours, and it seemed to work great. We also used a double-bagged pouch of water at the same time, which they seemed to like better and snuggled up closer to, but at the age they are now (almost 3 weeks) they would probably destroy that.

Can you not use electricity at all? Or just avoiding heat lamp? I asked because we also use a heating pad with ours as well. Oh, and I have seen them dig little holes for themselves in the litter and cover themselves up with it too. Not sure if that was for warmth, but I have seen them do it.

Just wanted to offer!

trish

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if they are about 2 weeks old, and there are enough of them, you could make a sort of a floating bunker that they can all go inside of and heat up. Basically make a stucture that is well insulated and about chick back level high and they can crawl into it and stay warm when they want to. This only works to a certain extent though. If you don't have enough chicks or if the outside temp is too low, they will get chilled. I used this method to keep a few chicks in the house during the summer starting at about 1 week old. The ambient temp of the house was at 75 and the chicks huddled under a blanket thing to stay warm, during the day though they popped out and were fine.

4. motherhen

motherhen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Halifax, NS
    I don't know if this works but you could keep a small cooler with a whole for them to enter at night and place a small plastic bottle with very warm water in it to provide heat. The 3 should enter the cooler to stay warm and since its small it will retain more heat then a large unit.
    Also, my friend put down a lot of straw almost 10" in winter and her hens dig deep wholes in it too stay warm. You might want to try that with you chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by