Non-electric incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jasmer, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jasmer

jasmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Anybody know how to incubate eggs without electricity? Likely we're just going to shove eggs under our broodiest hens to hatch every year, but we want an incubator on hand. However we plan on going off grid totally, and getting an electric incubator just feels counterproductive to that. We're weird like that, we want the hardcore off grid living experience. Is there such a thing as a non-electric type of egg incubator? As I said, we plan on just using broody hens in the Spring or Summer, this is more idle curiosity. Thanks :)

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    If you can get lucky, you can find an old one at an auction or antique store. Ask around for a kerosine run Sure Hatch. They do exist, but they do cost a pretty penny if the person you get it off of know what it is.

3. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I work with senior adults and one of my ladies said they used to hatch eggs in front of their wood burning heater. I'm sure if the elements are right it can be done. My bet is you'll need to build something. Would make an interesting thread too

4. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    I've been keeping bricks on my woodstove in the event we have a power outage. I wonder if you could use a brick box some how? Hmmm... Definitely going to be interesting what ideas pop up here. I've heard of the woodstove and then, there is the bra method! Lol! I don't think I could handle packing an egg around for 21 days though. Definitely find an older breed that's known for going broody!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    I'd stick with the broody hens.
    That's what we are doing this year.
    Saves on the electric,don't have to worry about temp. changes and humidity.
    Momma chicken takes care of everything.
    Makes my life simpler.

6. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    We were off grid the first time we brooded chicks. first we used a genny to run heat lamps, that was a waste of $$ in gas. then we used a propane camping heater, like what you would use in an ice hut, to heat the shed the brooders were in. Worked ok in spring, got the shed to around 90F which was fine by then. For incubating i know that amish in our area use kerosene incubators, i've seen them on kijiji.

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
  8. jasmer

jasmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Wow, thanks guys :)

9. creativetracy

creativetracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm just now reading these posts. Somebody said there was a guy on this website who makes kerosene incubators. How can I reach him or find out more about where to find them. Lehman's is pretty expensive. I don't want to pay that much. I want a non-electric incubator. Thanks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by