Non-electric incubators???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Freeholder, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I know, a broody hen, LOL! But I was thinking about it last night, after spending *hours* reading the 57-page thread on home-made incubators, and wondered if anyone had ever built or seen plans for, an incubator that doesn't need electricity? I remember reading that the ancient Egyptians used to hatch out thousands of eggs with wood-fired incubators. And my grandmother told me that one time her mother finished hatching out an egg -- the broody hen had disappeared -- by keeping it in her bra for several days (I can't imagine trying to do that for a whole 21-day incubation period, though, LOL!). I've got several broody hens, and am thinking about building an electric incubator after reading that thread, but was just curious if a non-electric one was even feasible?

Kathleen

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    The Amish use Kerosene ones, All you need is a heat source, the problem is controlling that heat if you use wood, I would think feeding wood onto the fire and getting the same BTU output would be the problem, with kerosene/propane etc at least the BTU output would be constant, but then you would have to adjust for external temperature change.

I think I will stick with broodies and electricity [​IMG]

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I discovered 2 kerosene incubators at a farm that was being leveled for farm land. Here are some pics. (if you search I wrote a thread about how I tried to convert it to electric. I couldn't keep the humidity consistent enough for use though)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think somewhere in that thread is a link that a BYC'er gave that still makes/sells kerosene incubators.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hahaha, I hope to have several of those non-electric hen-o-bators this spring!

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Wow! I had never heard of a kerosene incubator! Those are museum pieces! Fantastic! I think a solar collector with a battery system would be feaseable! Someone needs to work on this ASAP! Hmmm. my brain wont stop working now. Hmmmm.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Found the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=133431

I
    did sell the "most complete" one to fund some of my other projects, such as the conversion in the above thread.

I have since swaped everything back to the way it was and put all the modern electronics in a upright commercial cooler with a full glass door. Haven't quite finished it though.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Wow, that is a neat old incubator! I bet it's worth a lot of money even just as a decoration. I'd love to have something like that!

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    They do make a modern model kerosene incubator. I might try tying in a solar panel to my current cabinet bator. It's a remodeled antique redwood one from the early 1900's. New fan, new thermostat (replaced the wafer) and it rocks. I surely didn't need one that holds 600 eggs but oh well. I got it for 75.00$. I'm wiring in a higher end thermostat when I finish refinishing the exterior and since it runs on my porch, I could wire up a solar panel for it easy. Hmmmm... That should be novel. I love the big thick all redwood ones. Though I still have my homemade Darthbator, made from a mini-fridge, it works too well to let go of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by