non-electric way to help keep the water bowl from freezing.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by equusvilla, Dec 17, 2010.

1. equusvilla

equusvilla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    South Texas
    If you have other animals - ie cows or horses .. you can take that manure mixed with bedding like shavings and put it in a wider bucket or small trough, put the water bowl down inside the trough and surround it with more compost. As the compost breaksdown - it produces heat and will keep the water from freezing. Sorry I do not have a picture, but think of it as a circle inside of a larger circle with the compost in between them. Rubber buckets and troughs work well for this. You may have some ice on top of the water depending on how cold it gets - but it will not freeze all the way through.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Ive tried this method-my crew is such a slobby crew that they seriously kick everything into their water dishes! BUT I do put my 5 gallon filled jugs surrounded with it it does help quit a bit to keepo water from totally freezing through:) [​IMG]

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    interesting! i'll have to try this out!

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Has anyone tried this in climates where the temps get in the double-digits below zero? I live in MN and I just don't know if the compost would be able to warm up enough to keep the water thawed, or if it would freeze. It was -20 at night a week ago.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I've heard of this before. Sounds great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by