Non emergency. Bald spot on my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by plwebb, Dec 8, 2011.

1. plwebb

plwebb Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Oregon
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Hi - I can't access your picture, but some causes of scabs are dry fowl pox or fighting with other roos.

3. plwebb

May 28, 2011
    Oregon
  4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    It doesn't look bad. Maybe he scraped his side on something sharp. I don't see any sign of bruising, although it's not a very close picture. I would just keep an eye on it.

Have you checked him for mites/lice? If he's itching, he could have done the damage to himself. Also, one of your other chickens may be picking on him.

By the way, fowl pox would show up mostly on his face, comb, and wattles, so I don't believe it is that.

5. plwebb

May 28, 2011
    Oregon
    We checked for lice and didn't see any. We don't think it's mites. The coop was previously a greenhouse so no critters lived in there. I'm not sure if anything that lived on plants would live on the chickens. The building has a cement foundation that goes up about 2 feet from the floor so animals wouldn't have been able to did in there.

After I finally chased him down and grabbed him my sis in law and I were able to look at the area. There are some scabs and maybe even a sore looking spot but feathers ARE growing back out. I feel like he may be just bored and is plucking at himself. They're stuck in the coop for now. We hired a man to convert the greenhouse into a coop and he did finally get that done but he's been very, very slow getting the fence up. He finally did get the fence up last weekend but he hasn't come back to finish it up including putting the netting over the top of the 5 ft fence. There are too many dogs around to take a chance that they might be able to fly over the fence. The chickens are pets, more so to me than to my sis in law. They're officially her chickens and she buys the main supplies while I do the caring for them on a daily basis plus I supply the treats. We share the eggs, I'll take them to her house one day then the next day I'll take them. We live next door to each other.
    Back to the topic at hand, lol.
    Is there some kind of medicine that we can use on chickens to heal any wounds? AND is there something that we can put on the area to stop him from plucking at himself.

Thanks chook lovers! I love this site, you are so knowledgeable!

6. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    hens may have pulled them.

7. plwebb

May 28, 2011
    Oregon
    And he would sit there and let them? BTW, it's only on one side.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    maybe hes just sore. give him some mountain dew if hes a little lugish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by