1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non-Emergency - Found an object in my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bwahk, Feb 3, 2013.

1. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Hey all :)

So this is a non-emergency as my chicken is already healed. I'd like to get some feedback from more experienced chickenieers about what this may have been.

This is my hen, Honey.

[​IMG]

I bought her about two months ago from a local feed store... a place I will never again go as I found out they terribly neglect and sell sick chickens. Anyway, she seemed fine. I bought her with nine other hens. I found out later they had Roup (they're on antibiotics now). About two weeks ago I happened to be holding her to listen to her breathing, and I felt something hard sticking out of her leg.

After a little freaking out I found a pointy organic object sticking out of her leg. It had clearly been there for awhile, the skin wasn't inflamed and it had grown tight around it. It didn't seem to hurt her, but i was worried that it would cause long term damage if it stayed in. After some work I was able to get it out. It left a small hole about the size of a marble in her leg where it had been, which I treated.

Honey is doing great now, but I still wonder what the heck it was!

Any ideas?

This is her leg as of today, much healed.
    [​IMG]

And this is the object. Its hard, sort of like bone, it actually looks like hard beef jerky. The bottom half was inside her skin.
    [​IMG]

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

wow [​IMG]

3. bwahk

bwahk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2013
    Dumb Cluck California
    Weird huh? My mom thought it was a talon from another animal... but I don't really think so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by