1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non Emergency. spray for Marek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freemontchick6, Mar 23, 2015.

1. freemontchick6

freemontchick6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    I'm looking for something to use in my coops and pens that will kill Marek's. I read bleach does not work. I am not sure my local feed store will have anything & I'm about 40 miles from TSC. I need to know what to ask for. Anyone have a brand or something so I will know if I am getting the correct product? Thanks

2. StarFox7585

StarFox7585 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Bostic, North Carolina
    DuPont Virkon. Only cleaning product I know that is rated for killing the virus. Remove all organic materials (bedding, feathers, etc). Be aware that the virus is very easily spread (airborne) so it's very likely the area surrounding your coop is contaminated. Best chance you have at raising new birds is to have them vaccinated when they are hatched then keep them away from previously contaminated areas. Keeping them indoors would be best. Until they develop some immunity from the vaccine. The vaccine will not prevent them from getting Marek's it just gives them a better chance. Good luck!

3. StarFox7585

StarFox7585 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Bostic, North Carolina
    You may have to order the cleaner online.

4. freemontchick6

Sep 14, 2014
    Thank u so much. I already plan to vaccinate all new chicks we have hatch this year & I'll be keeping them away from the others for several weeks.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! The virus is in the feathers and dander, so in the dust and dirt anywhere your infected birds have been. Cleaning the coop is good, but it's not possible to kill everything on the ground. don't even try. The virus lives in the environment for months and probably years. Only buy vaccinated chicks, and practice strict biosecurity for them for the three weeks it takes them to build immunity. Good luck! Also, PLEASE do the same for everyone else; don't take the virus to your friends and to the feed store on your shoes. Mary

6. freemontchick6

Sep 14, 2014
    Thank you for all of your help. I am trying very hard to keep this contained. I am thinking seriously about no new chicks this year. I know with my free rangers it will be impossible so I will be vaccinating those when I see them hatch. I read the vaccination is mailed frozen. Do I keep it refrigerated or frozen & also how long is the bottle good for? Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by