non fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Speed, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    One of my hens has been sitting on some eggs, I know there is at least 2 fertile but the rest I'm pretty sure are not. What do I do with these eggs? Are they still ok to use or just throw them away? She keeps stealing eggs from other hens that share her nesting box, I'm going to put up a temporary divider so the other hens can't get in the same box.

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I would through them away.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you mark the eggs you want her to hatch and check under her at the end of the day to remove any new eggs. These eggs are good to use.

If an egg does not have bacteria there is nothing technically wrong with it, even if it has been under a broody for a while. Even if it started to develop, as long as it has not gone bad and started to smell, you can eat them. Personally, I don't.

From Wikipedia - The pictures show that it is well developed.

A balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell.

Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common, everyday food in countries on Southeast Asia, such as Laos (where it is called kai luk - ໄຂ່ລູກ), Thailand (khai khao - ไข่ข้าว in Thai), Cambodia (pong tea khon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian)[1] and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese).

4. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    I marked a few and she keeps snatching the other ones, I just wasn't sure if it was ok if I took them that same day. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by