1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non-fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenannie1, Feb 18, 2012.

1. chickenannie1

chickenannie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    I have a rooster in with 3 hens. I was incubated many eggs and hatched 11 of them, but now none of the eggs I am getting are fertile. Could there be a reason that my rooster is no longer fertilizing the eggs? The hens lay 2 eggs a day but haven't had a fertile egg in a month. Very confused here. Any thoughts?

2. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    How cold are your eggs getting before they are collected? Wisconsin is pretty cold this time of year, or so I've heard.

3. chickenannie1

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    We check twice a day. Morning and evening. And yes it does get way to cold here for my liking? Most of the time we find them under one of the hens. There have been times, yes they are cold when we find them, but some of those have even hatched out chicks. None we have placed in month have done anything, they are just yolk.

4. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Is the rooster getting old?

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Are you checking for fertility by cracking any eggs and looking for a bullseye, or just based on no growth in the incubator?

6. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    time for a yong roo

7. chickenannie1

Jan 6, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    I am not sure how old the roo is. I bought the group last summer at an auction and I guess I assumed the roo was young because the hens weren't even laying yet. They just started laying in November. Maybe he is older. Thanks everyone, never thought that!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Roosters are not particularly robust in the low light of winter. Their sperm count goes way down. They too need the light that spring brings.
    Just because the females were young doesn't mean the rooster was, when you bought the birds at auction. In my experience, a rooster stays viable and active well beyond 4 years.
    Also agree with spot checking and verifying fertility before incubating a batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by