Non Fluffy Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyFlockLove, Feb 19, 2017.

1. FluffyFlockLove

FluffyFlockLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    Hello everyone,
    I had some chicks hatch the other night and I just took them from the incubator. They are silkie chicks but they aren't fluffy. All their feathers seem to be stuck down to their skin. I rubbed them gently with a warm cloths but it didn't seem to help. 2 aren't that bad but the other two are. To the point they don't seem to be moving much. Anyone know what I can do to help them?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I get the water in the sink running a little and adjust it where is feels about 100 degree's---then wet the chick while lightly rubbing---I then move it from under the water and get a drop of dawn and soap it up then rinse----then blow dry it being careful to not get it to hot. Usually cleans up good. Put it in a warm Brooder should look good the next day.

1 person likes this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Could/will you share a pic of them?
    Im curious to see what you are talking about.
    (for the future ..if I ever hatch)

Thanks and good luck!

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

They will fluff up now that they are out of the incubator......Do not wash them......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If someone has a "sticky" chick Why would you tell them not to wash them? If its real sticky it want fluff up, it will die.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. FluffyFlockLove

FluffyFlockLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    There feathers formed like a hard shell on them so I gave them a bath using a q-tip, gentle dish soap mix in warm water. There feathers are fluffing up up a bit now. Some spots on them still need to be washed. I did lose 1/4 last night though

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When their feathers are plastered to the body - like you said, a hard shell, that is called "shrink wrapped." They do have to be bathed & washed gently and dried thoroughly (blow dryer set on low). Some chicks need a second bathing. We sure they are thoroughly dry before going back to the brooder. You don't want them getting chilled

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by