Non-Flush Free vs. Flush Free Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    What is the reasoning behind using one and not the other? When I went into the pharmacy, they only had flush free... [​IMG]

Will the flush free cause them problems? Or are either safe for consumption?

2. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    If you read the back of the bottles, they appear to be two different things (though I am not a pharmacist so I don't know for sure). Flush-free is niacin + inositol, regular niacin is nicotinic acid. That is the what I noticed on the bottles I have here, anyway.

3. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    My pharmacy said flush free is a time released type of niacin so it takes longer for your system to absorb it. Which would mean it would be out of the ducks system before they have time to absorb it. That's my best guess anyway [​IMG]

4. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Got it! Thanks! [​IMG] Back to the pharmacy I go this evening!

How much do you use typically?
    I've only got three little babies, so it's not like I'm fueling a flock... and flock numbers is all I've seen [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    100mg per gallon of water is what I've seen most suggest. With 5 ducks I would just mix mine in a gallon jug then pour it into their waterer because it only held 1 qt so that they had to drink more than play in it [​IMG]

6. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by