non food grade DE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sassychickengirl, May 24, 2010.

1. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I bought some DE today at Lowes but it isn't food grade and I can't find any place else around here that even knows what I'm talking about. My question is, can I use this in my chicken run and coop safely? I have some cornish x's in there separated from my laying hens too if that matters. If I can use it for that then is it also okay to use on my cats and dog and around my patio?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    no you will kill them take it back if you can

3. guss

guss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    the only thing i can find even clos to food grade DE is at pool supply stores. it is pure DE with no pesticides or bait to attract and kill pests. dont know if it would work but guy at pool store says most of his supplies are food grade just not sure if he would use it around irds or not.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    personally i would not risk it... there is a BIG difference between food grade and pool grade

at you feed store ask for an Anti-caking agent... thats what its called here

[​IMG]

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

6. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Thank you for the quick replies. I will see if I can find anti-caking agent. Is there a specific brand besides what is pictured or just any anti caking agent for livestock feed will do?

7. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Take it back............... it should not be used around ANY animals.

Good luck

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

8. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    the pool grade has other chemicals in it, is what I've been told.

I have been wondering, if can you use the same DE (food grade) that you use for chickens in your garden?? They sell some for the garden in the pest control sections of HD and Lowes, I am not sure this is the same I buy from the feed store? The stuff for the garden includes bug attractants, though they don't really specify what that means.

Does Anyone know?

9. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    YolandaT, the food grade is what you want for your gardens and everything from what I'm reading. Especially if you have kids or pets. I just bought the stuff from Lowes and am taking it back per the suggestion of other members on here. I found some food grade DE on ebay just now and ordered some. I wish I could find it locally though. I'm excited to get it, especially after all I've read on it in the last few hours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by