non forming eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seansw7, Feb 10, 2009.

1. seansw7

seansw7 New Egg

Feb 10, 2009
    I have just got hens for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I got them from a sale. They are two year olds (supposedly). I have 10 all together. Other than the plucking that happened before i got them they all seem healthy. I got 2 eggs the first day and every day since. yesterday a new hen started laying but her egg is not forming all the way. The pointed part is not there. My question is I guess is this: is it because this is the first eggs or is there another problem that I need to take care of. I have never done this before so any help will be appreciated. They were fed only corn before I got them and now are getting LAYING FEED along with OYSTER shells. Also I still feed them cracked corn but only a 20 oz. coffee cup twice a day. They act like they are starving.

Again thank you for your help

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you offering grit in addition to the oyster shell?

Without it they can't benefit from all the calories...need it to crush feed in crop...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. seansw7

seansw7 New Egg

Feb 10, 2009
    no I will pick up some tomorrow I thought the oyster shell was enough. Thank you

4. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    She just may be getting cranked up for the year. You're feeding them fine if you're giving laying feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by