Non GM meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jermoatc, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    What do yall think is the best non genetically modified breed to raise for meat is?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The commercial broilers are NOT genetically modified. They are merely selectively bred.

3. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Oh. Ok. Thank you for clarifying that. Any ideas on breed selection?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you like a yellow skin and wish to pluck feathers and have a traditional look to the carcass, the white feathered birds will give you that. White Rocks, White Cornish (rare), Delaware (rare). The White Rocks have gotten slowly larger, over the years, than what their SOP calls for so that is a plus for the meat side of raising them. The Delawares sold today are far, far off SOP and sketchy as to being the proper sized bird. White Cornish are rare as diamonds. White Giants grow very slowly, I understand.

The colored birds will often leave dark pin marks in the skin, which wouldn't matter if you skin the carcass. Fast growing, larger bodied fowl, especially if you order all cockerels, will give you many good choices. Most hatchery grade birds are designed for laying, not for larger carcasses. But, some strains of Australorp, Orpingtons, etc might do you just fine. Pullets are generally too small to bother with. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

There are NO genetically modified chickens in the GMO sense. Every breed has a degree of genetic modification through selective breeding that has occurred to make the breeds what they are.

In my mind by far and away the best chicken to raise for meat production is the commercial broilers sometimes called Cornish Cross.

6. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Wow. Thank you for all the info. You all are very helpful.

7. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We have tried many breeds, from Freedom Rangers to Cornish cross.

We have gone back to the Cornish Cross.
    There is no better breed for feed conversion.
    We use a combination of pasture and our own mix.
    With the high cost of grain you may want look at the Cornish cross.

just my .02

8. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I think I will definitely try some cornish cross but my long term goal is to create a self sustaining flock so I dont have to continually buy from the hatcheries. Any thoughts?

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Use the search function on this site, there are multiple threads discussing that topic.

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I am going to try crossing Austrolorp and Dorking and see what I get. The Austrolorps are nice DP birds and the Dorkings have good breast meat for a heritage bird. I will also be breeding SG Dorkings pure breed as well, and I have a strain of Pure Light Brahmas I am working on which grow fairly fast and are bog and beautiful. I think any bird you try will be a work in progress. You will have to selectively breed them for what you are looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by