Non GMO organic feed

Ajulycc

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
WNY
So I’m a new chick mom and my daughter has now insisted that we feed our 8 barred rock chicks, only non GMO food anyone have some insight on this? I love the idea of organic not full of chemicals

I say benefits will be for you and your family not necessary for your flock. If you eat organic non GMO food all the time, then you should plunge into having your chicken have the same.

I tell you though I don’t feed my chicken treats and product from China, I was bummed out that meal worms are all from overseas. So I feed them whatever best, that in turn we’re also consuming.

So I’m a new chick mom and my daughter has now insisted that we feed our 8 barred rock chicks, only non GMO food anyone have some insight on this? I love the idea of organic not full of chemicals

I switched to an organic, non-GMO chicken feed a couple of years ago because I suspected the GMO feed may be a contributing factor to the internal laying that was showing up in some of my hens (as documented by necropsy). I'd read something about GMO feeds having negative reproductive effects on various types of livestock. Since the switch, there have been no more internal laying issues.

In my opinion, the flock is healthier and the egg quality is bound to be better. It does cost twice as much, but I think it's worth it. I use Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower for my entire flock (hens, roosters, chicks), so essentially I'm using it as an all-flock feed, while providing crushed oyster shell on the side for the laying hens.

If it is Organic, it is NON-GMO. There are a bunch of threads on here about Organic and Non-GMO feeds on here. I started many of them within the last year.
Blue Seal also has a non-gmo grower that is not too bad in price, at least around here.
Since you are in NY and Blue Seal is in New hampshire (?) you should be able to get it

I know of two feed companies available here in the east that have Non GMO that is not organic, so it is higher priced than regular & lower than organic if you can find it. Green Mountain feed in Vermont is one & Kalmbach out of Ohio is the other. I am sure there may be more. I do not eat 100% organic, but try to buy most meat & milk that way, so prefer to have my eggs organic also.

It is totally false that organic grains can be sprayed with Round Up to desicate them & then be sold as organic. Also questionable that organic crops are sprayed with more chemicals. The important thing is to know the company you are buying from. There is also GMO canola now used in many feeds. I can never understand why people who don't use organic or non GMO are so set on dissuading others from doing so. To each his own, I say.

There’s quite a few products available i.e. manna pro, Purina and lots more. Just be prepared for the cost since they’re almost double the price of the regular feeds.
I found a product and indeed it was like twice as much. Ha ha is there any benefits for the chicks and therir egg quality?

Back
Top Bottom