1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

non-growing pullet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allmybabies, Jul 23, 2007.

1. allmybabies

allmybabies New Egg

May 8, 2007
    Hi, anyone ever this problem? I have a Sicilian Buttercup that I got with 16 other varieties (one other buttercup), hatch date 5/30/07. This one is not growing as fast. She is about 1/4 the size of the others, still has some down. She is active and alert, eating well, keeps up with the others, just not growing. What's up?
    Any advice appreciated! Thanks

2. Dragon_mom25

Dragon_mom25 New Egg

Jun 12, 2007
    I think this is called slow feathering, if it is watch out. She may be a he! some hens may slow feather, but teh roosters are more likely to.

if it is not slow feathering you may have an issue with not enough feeder space for all the chicks. if this one is repeatedly shoved away from the only food that may be an issue. so add an aditional feeding station, and dont forget to have plenty of water stations too.

3. allmybabies

allmybabies New Egg

May 8, 2007
    Thank you. I forgot to mention that she is now a free-range during the day,. cooped at night. They have several feeding/watering stations through the property. She is fairly aggressive in that respect! She does have mature feathers, just some down. Just her size is about a two week size. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by