Non-Hatchery Stock

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I'm looking to purchase a few hens that are from non-hatchery stock. I know a few people on here sell them and I have sent messages but haven't heard anything back.

Is there a list online? Is there another good website to purchase chickens?

thanks!

Under "Index" there's a "want to buy" section. Also the auctions are a good place to look. If you have a certain breed in mind, be sure to put that in your wanted title. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a response. Most breeders won't ship in warm weather and many do not sell chicks. I recommend you keep trying!
big_smile.png

first your going to have to decide what breed you want... and then you'll get ignored by people who don't want to sell anything...

It'll be an uphill battle the whole way...

Just like kfacres said, it will be an uphill battle. You have to want it and know what you're after.

What breeds are you interested in?
Are you wanting something pretty?
Are you wanting something big?
Something small?
Something that lays lots of eggs?
Something that goes broody or doesn't go broody?
What's your climate like and will any breeds do well there?

Pick something that interests you and something that won't have problems in your climate. If you have to keep backtracking because of these, it won't be much fun for you. If you go for something that appeals to you and won't have issues in your area due to lack of feathering, too much feathering or poor body climate control you'll get discouraged really fast.

Quote:
i agree. it's a pain in the rear trying to get birds. seriously.

Thanks for all the negativity guys!

I sell chicks, hens, breeding groups ect. They are right about most people not wanting to ship chicks when it is too hot or cold. I live in NC and have sent you a PM with some helpful info. It really is not that hard to get hens if you know where to look and are willing to put forth some effort.
wink.png

Buying live birds isn't hard, you just have to be patient as the PO has regulations for shipping live birds. then you have to understand buying from a breeder will be a higher cost and a wait for the eggs to hatch, or the breeder to select what they are keeping before the rest are for sale. Age and size of the birds will dictate how many can be put in a box, the size of the box needed and the shipping cost. Fall is a great time to buy birds. BYC is just one source, there is BidBird and other sites too where non hatchery birds can be found listed for sale.

Quote:
depends mainly on what breed you want... some breeds can be found a dime a dozen; where as others can barely be found... and getting those people to part with something is another story...

It also depends on the quality of bird you desire. If you're after the best of the best- good luck. but If you're just after the best breeder's low end birds- then you'll find those all day long.

Trust me I have been through the ignoring part. LOL

I'm not looking to get hens to breed or compete with the market. All I want is some really nice quality DP hens for my flock.

The breeds I would like to have a few of:
Heritage RIR
BCM
LF Cornish

Back
Top Bottom