Non-irritating dog collar?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by txchickie, Jan 2, 2011.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My older boston terrier/boxer mix has an awful time with collars. He's a "runner off-er", and if I'm not out with him supervising him 100% of the time, he likes to go off on "adventures" [​IMG] He's microchipped, but I would feel MUCH better if he was also wearing his ID tags. Does anyone know of a non-irritating dog collar? I've tried nylon, leather, and cotton and they all rub him under his neck/chest to the point that he bleeds. Even if someone knows how to make one? Is there a harness for a 40lb dog?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use a horse halter on my larger dogs.

3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Have you tried a rolled leather collar?

And they do make harnesses for just about every size dog. [​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Is it possible that he's allergic to any of the hardware on the collar, the connecting links or the metal tags? I had a dog with that problem, that's why I thought of it.

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    What about a fur saver collar? They come in stainless steel and Curogan (for dogs with nickel allergies).

Although being a choke type, I wouldn't recommend leaving it on a dog that will roam... (but then again, you shouldn't let your dog roam either). but, you can put a link in it and make it a non-choking collar.
    http://leerburg.com/fursaver.htm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by