Non-layer has egg-bound symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kereru1973, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Kereru1973

Kereru1973 Hatching

Jun 4, 2018
    Hi there

Rhode Island Red aged 5 has been walking like penguin, she had dirty bum so I cleaned and checked her vent with finger and no evidence of egg. She has not laid for about 18 months.

I had her drenched about 3 weeks ago at vet.

She now is unable to hop up 15cm, wings are drooping. Her abdomen is distended.

She does not seem to want to drink (there is water available) but is eating ok.

She is not part of a flock so no other hens to compare, her “sister” did get egg bound several years ago and died.

We are in New Zealand so pretty cold here at present @ zero at night.

She is inside tonight.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Kereru1973 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
    You mention the vet drenched her a few weeks ago - was this to re-hydrate her?

Walking like a penguin, having a distended abdomen, not laying in 18mos., difficulty navigating roosts - all these symptoms, to me, point to internal laying/reproductive problems. Ascites, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors and Salpingitis are common in laying hens. Sadly there is no treatment that can cure them. The best you can do sometimes is offer supportive care - make them comfortable, keep them hydrated and monitor them closely. I know it can be heartbreaking, but I've found once they stop drinking and/or eating, they are in a state of decline and quality of life need to be evaluated daily. If the abdomen is fluid filled, sometimes the vet can drain that to give a hen short term relief.

3. Kereru1973

Kereru1973 Hatching

Jun 4, 2018
    Thanks Wyorp
    Yesterday she stopped eating and could barely stand so I took her to the vet, she was skinny under all her feathers with some kind of tumour. The vet euthanised her.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Good call. I cull birds that are not able to move well or engage in their normal daily activities.

5. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Sorry about your hen. Sounds like the right thing to do though, tough as it can be.

6. nwsunshine

nwsunshine Hatching

Jun 5, 2018
    Oregon
    I just lost a four year old Plymouth Rock hen from a flock of six today. Actually, they are like pets and our first flock. This hen was laying normally until she was 2 years old. She stopped laying the last two years or laid eggs without shells. The hens have access to oyster shells, get organic feed, and have the ability to free range most of the time.

The couple weeks ago she lost all of her feathers in the vent area and walked in a waddling manner. When she was sitting, it seemed like she was trying to "push" and did a rocking motion in the back area. I thought she may be egg bound because she had been having some eggs without shells, and tried the warm water treatment. She always ate very well and wandered around with the others, but she started making odd noises and kind of clicking her beak together (I found out now it was trouble breathing.) Took her to the vet and she had large cancer tumors, vet thought probably in the reproductive area, and fluid from the cancer which interfered with breathing. Heart breaking but I researched her symptoms and couldn't find any similar situations so I wanted to post to inform others. She had a rebel personality and is greatly missed.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: