Non-layers hostile to new layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I have 6 pullets, all at 17wks of age. Two of them, a barred rock and a red sex link, have been maturing faster than the rest. The RSL started squatting yesterday. She has always been at the bottom of the pecking order but my chickens have never been violent towards each other, now she is getting pecked pretty hard by one of my black sex links.

Does this have something to do with her maturing and getting close to laying?

2. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    I noticed when my buff Orpington was getting ready to lay, she got WAY more assertive when the rest of the flock, and she was already top hen. I have two more getting ready to lay, and they are also getting tough. I read it's normal behavior that come along with maturity.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I read, and was praying, that they get nicer as they mature [​IMG]. My black sex links are the most scared out of the flock and Spock has always been the largest pullet. But maybe it has nothing to do with my squatting red sex link then and more to do with Spock coming into laying as well. THank you for your reply!

4. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Well, mine are nicer to ME, because they see me as the rooster. I think you are correct, though - the nastiness I think goes away after they get over the 'what the heck is going on with my body?????' phase - like teenage girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by