Non-Laying Adult Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ramonagirl, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ramonagirl

ramonagirl New Egg

Dec 1, 2010
    Hello All--

I am new to chickens and new to this forum. I have two hens: a wynadotte and a leghorn. I raised the leghorn from a chick and when she was about 3 months old, I added the wynadotte (who was 11 months old and laying). They immediately bonded and after about a week or two, the wynadotte quit laying. Since I was having to feed for the baby, I assumed the lack of eggs was due to the food.

Both hens seemed to have undergone a molt during the warmth of summer (so that should be out of the way).

A couple of weeks ago, the leghorn began to lay. She has been consistently providing me with an egg each day, but the wynadotte still has not resumed laying. I thought maybe she was broody but she doesn't have anything to do with the leghorn eggs.

Have any of you seen this before? I looked at old posts but did not locate anything quite like this.

I feed both the layena crumbles and I add crushed oyster shells.

Any ideas?

Robin

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Try to give them more Protien, Meal Worms, Night Crawlers, or HUGE GRUBS! They go nuts when they see then. This has always worked for me!

3. ramonagirl

ramonagirl New Egg

Dec 1, 2010
    Thank you for the tip![​IMG]

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Your welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by