non laying chickens!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jamietidwell, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jamietidwell

jamietidwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    canton, ms
    Ok so my chickens (cochin bantams) are all almost 1 year old. None of them have layed a single egg....can you believe that?! I figured they would wait till spring but nope, not one egg yet. They're mating with the roosters and everything. They've been mating for several months now. I don't know what to do.

2. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    That's odd. Do they freerange, so they could be laying somewhere you don't know about??

3. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    and are they eating layer food?

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I think they must be laying somewhere you have not found yet - get looking and maybe use a dog with a good nose - our spaniel always finds nests for us!!

5. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I thought mine had issues, too. Then one day I accidentally discovered a nest under one of our sheds. I thought they had not been laying for weeks when in fact, they just hadn't been laying in the nest boxes for weeks.

Time for a pre Easter egg hunt.

6. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Can you keep them confined for a few days to see if they are just laying outside where you can't find them?

7. jamietidwell

Aug 7, 2008
    canton, ms
    Quote:They are not free range. we built a big run onto the coop

8. jamietidwell

Aug 7, 2008
    canton, ms
    Quote:yes they've been on laying pellets for awhile now and they'll be 1yr old in may

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Can you bump up the calcium by milling the egg shells from your home use (you must be buying if they're not laying...) in a coffee grinder and feeding them back in their food?

Can you bump up their protein by feeding them tuna or something along those lines? I heard pond fish food was a great way to blitz egg production. I haven't tried that, but I did feed a pound of freezer-burnt salmon to mine over a week or so and saw a bump in production.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My cochin bantam hens like to play the egg hunt game. Although they have a coop and nesting boxes, they lay eggs wherever they want to and I have to find them. One day I found a dozen of there eggs in a new laying spot. I wasn't sure how long the eggs were there, so I had to throw them away. At that age, yours should be laying. You may want to walk around on a daily basis in case they are laying somewhere else. Let us know if you find any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by