Non Laying Cochins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theminimizer, Feb 25, 2013.

1. theminimizer

theminimizer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Hey Guys,

We got these beautiful chickens from someone facing a health issue and unable to care for them in October 2012 (6 months old). They both laid eggs the first 6 days they were here. Then, they apparently detested the change of feed (the old owners fed them vegetarian pellets and we could only find regular pellets), molted, and stopped laying altogether. It's been enough months, all their feathers have grown back in and they seem happy enough. We feed them table scraps, and let them roam the yard whenever we are playing outside. (Stopped free ranging after an eagle took a dive at them.) They still don't love their feed, but went crazy happy about the scratch I added to their diet 3 days ago. We haven't gotten a single egg from either one since October. Not really sure what we are doing wrong. We have a lovely little tractor coop, feed them Home Grown pellets, use deep litter straw method, live in TX, and hope to have laying hens again soon. ;) Any ideas of things we might be missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. zebralady

zebralady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    It could be as simple as the lighting. Chickens regularly slow way down or stop laying during the winter. The change in light is what triggers them to lay again. I run artificial lighting in my coop to keep my girls laying regularly. Good luck

3. zebralady

zebralady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, Washington
    I forgot to add that scratch can slow down egg production. A great treat but, not a good staple. I also give my girls some form of greens every day, a good treat but, not necessary.

4. theminimizer

Feb 25, 2013
    Good point. I've been afraid of lighting the coop ever since I read about a fire on here. Is it normal to not produce at all during the winter?

5. theminimizer

Feb 25, 2013
    Also, I'm asking because I'm just finishing my feed bag and want to make sure I buy the best thing for them.

6. theminimizer

Feb 25, 2013
    Hallelujah! March 1st turned my chickens back on again. I've gotten 1 a day, sometimes TWO, since then. Yay for sunlight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by