Non laying hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fewgoodchicks, Jun 25, 2016.

1. fewgoodchicks

fewgoodchicks New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Hi my 3 hens have all stopped laying. One laid all winter but now coming into summer they have all stopped. They are all abt 2-3 yrs old and laid every day last summer.., the Banty was laying but now has stopped and now sitting on nesting box on nothing! We have had crows and magpies abt recently and not sure how to deal with that As coop area is a corner of garden and not covered . I've treated them for worms and don't see Any red mites... ? Suggestions pls?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! There can be so reasons as to why they stop laying. Here are some threads for you to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Stopped+laying+eggs+#

Another thought could be that something is getting in and stealing the eggs? If your Banty has stopped laying and is staying in the nest box I would guess she is broody so not laying would be understandable.

Wishing you the very best of luck and I hope the threads above help :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The wild birds may be stealing eggs and bringing mites,lice and whatever disease along to your flock. I would strongly urge you cover your run so they cannot enter. If no run, it would be best to build one. They also may be contaminating the food and water.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

How old are your hens? And, is the heat bad out your way?

You probably already know this, but that little bantam sitting in the nest box with no eggs has gone broody. She wants babies! [​IMG] She will sit like that for a very long time if no babies are given to her. Watch her, make sure she gets up for drink and food every few days at least. I have one broody right now too. She was a great layer. I was just waiting. The bantams are notorious for this broody thing. I will have some eggs hatching in a few days, I will sneak a few babies out to her after they hatch, it will be fun to watch a mama hen again. Been a while. :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

Best wishes
    CT

6. fewgoodchicks

fewgoodchicks New Egg

Jun 25, 2016

Yes realised she is v broody have shooed her off nest and getting her to eat/drink

7. fewgoodchicks

fewgoodchicks New Egg

Jun 25, 2016

Heat is not bad here it's Northern Ireland!

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ireland? Whoot! Wish we had some of that cool air here right now. :) It has cooled down through the night, but the day will bring the heat.

Ireland? We have a few great folks here from Ireland! [​IMG]

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    They just get that ...sitting bug..don't they? Bless their hearts, it's just in them. I have broken some that I didn't want broody, with a rabbit cage that sits off the ground. Nice small openings on the bottom so the chicken walks around pretty easily. Boy, they don't like that thing. Some will stop being broody in one day..some it takes three or four days. I put them on the roost in the coop at night, back out to the broody breaker in the morning. :) Good luck with your little one. :)

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by