Non-Laying Hens

madgoosefarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Sapulpa, OK
sad.png
I've got about 25 hens that should be laying, I've looked in all their usual hiding spots (apparently they prefer me to play hide and seek!) I'm getting at most 3 eggs but mostly 1 or 2....what is up with this? They don't appear to be molting, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I remember the past couple of years that production went down in the fall. Any suggestions on change of diet or anything? I've got too many people counting on those good free range eggs!
Thanks
Laura

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

I don't know what's going on this fall... I have several birds that are 30 some weeks old and still aren't laying. Maybe the climate is changing fast this year who knows!

Last edited:
what all are you feeding?
seeing any feathers around?

what size is the coop?
how many nest boxes?
what bedding are you using?
checked for mites?
have they been wormed?

describe the droppings..color and consistency

early fall is a good time to worm,
and treat for mites..(birds and coop)

it's possible they have found a good hiding spot and have a mound of eggs somewhere.
try and keep watch and see where they go.
change of light and season can effect egg production.
some extra protein and vitamins might help.

Put a lock on the chickyard gate. There are a lot of hungry unemployed people around now days.

Rufus

My bluebelle, who hadn't missed a day since February, has started dropping to five or six eggs a week since the beginning of October. And our BO is only averaging four to five a week now too. The BO is just finishing a moult and the bluebelle has just started this week.

If all of your girls are about to moult, that could explain the dramatic drop in production.

I have the same problem. 4 hens that are 24 weeks old and none are laying. I take that back. I had one that was laying for 2 weeks and went broody? She's young, the days are getting colder and the nights shorter. She shouldn't be doing this but I couldn't 'break' her and gave her 8 fertilized eggs. So far she has been doing great.

My girls are eating layer pellets, nice warm 8 X 8 coop. Fresh water, no mites, very little treats, no mites or lice and no worms. 2 nest boxes and wood shaving for bedding from the feedstore. I'm stumped.
hmm.png

Is it possible that I am feeding my 60 + hens to much greens? ie:( lettuce, veggies, herb) My local grocer and I plan out weekly days that I do pick up of these greens. I get 8 eggs a day from these hes and am fed up:mad:!been doing this for 2-3 yrs. I want to give up on these birds and start a new flock.

If I remember correctly Oklahoma had record low temps -35 degrees and snow fall. Today I think you are in the 60's. Your area is not used to low temps like that and I'm sure your girls said 'hey...what's going on?' Give them a few weeks to get acclimated again and they will get right back on schedule.
wink.png

I have 15 or so that were hatched in June. They started laying in December and have been sporadic since then. They are not under lights and it's been snowy and miserable up here, so I am surprised they are laying at all.

Back
Top Bottom