Non laying hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedNewcomer, Jan 20, 2014.

1. RedNewcomer

RedNewcomer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    I have four , what I think to be production reds, that I have had for going on two weeks now. They were given to me by family and I'm not sure of there age. I figured they would be laying by now since I was told they were before coming to our place. Any opinions as to why their not laying yet.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

If they were laying before you got them, they will start again. Any change in a chicken's life can bring laying to a halt. It's hard to say when they'll start laying again. One other thing to consider. Did the previous owner have supplemental lights on them? That will make a difference, too. Ideally, they need 12-14 hours of light to lay during the winter.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. RedNewcomer

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    I don't believe they did. I will look into that. I have light on them now at all times. Is that to much?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have mine on a timer. I wouldn't like to have to try to sleep with a light shining all the time. [​IMG]

5. RedNewcomer

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    That's a good point. I may have spoke to soon also. Checked on them this morning and found one egg :)

6. RedNewcomer

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    So I have ran into another possible problem. I have two hens that were laying for a few days straight. This morning to no avale I had nothing. I watched the two hens for a while to see if they were actig normall. What I did notice was that once one went to nest the other wanted to best at the same time right beside each other. I'm worried that they may become egg bound if there fighting for nest room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by