1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non laying Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anavydoc, Sep 23, 2015.

1. anavydoc

anavydoc New Egg

Aug 17, 2015
    I bought 5, 2 day old Rhode Island Reds in April, so they are about 20 weeks old now. Two of them have been laying small eggs for about two weeks now while the other three are not doing anything. Is this normal that some of them would be this far behind in producing?

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Yes, sometimes they can be behind. If they are 20 weeks old now, the other ones would have started laying at 18 weeks, right? That's on the earlier end of the scale, so don't worry about the other ones. Just to be safe, check them for any signs of disease, but I think they're fine.

3. anavydoc

anavydoc New Egg

Aug 17, 2015
    What would be signs of disease? They appear healthy to me. Eating, lively etc.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Signs of disease could be watery droppings, listlessness, sneezing, drainage from eyes/nose, not eating/drinking, limping, etc.
    If they appear healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Give them a couple weeks. I just did some research and RIR's can take up to 26 weeks to start laying. Hope this helps! :)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

they're not behind at all. Average onset of lay is 20-26 weeks, that's a wide span. And some birds fall outside that range.

6. anavydoc

anavydoc New Egg

Aug 17, 2015
    Thank you so much for all the help, I'm trying to be the best momma hen, and be patient all at once. And this is my first time at this. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by