1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

non-leathal hawk deterant

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gpwelding1, Nov 9, 2011.

1. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    i have been at a loss for what to do to defend my chickens from a hawk.
    i was flipping through a cheaperthandirt.com catolog when i found the solution.
    they have blanks for 12ga shotguns,as well as bean bag rounds.i have to check the legality of useing the bean bags against a hawk,but the blanks are DEFINATLY legal!
    i was told to just save the spent blank shells after fireing at one,incase some one reports it.that way you can show you were not fireing live rounds at a hawk.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think you'd better read the law more carefully. It is against the law to harass birds of prey and I suspect that firing bean bag rounds at them is harassment.

You want to end your hawk problem? Cover your runs.

3. dfriloux

dfriloux Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    I lost two chicks in three days a week ago. Covered the run and haven't lost one since. The three girls I have left are not terribly happy about it, but, they're alive and that's more than I can say for Gertrude and Amy Rose!

4. gpwelding1

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:my runs are coverd,but we have been letting some of our chickens free range durring the day.
    in my original post i said i had to check on the legality of useing the bean bag rounds,i never said it was legal.or that i,or anyone else should go ahead and use them.
    what i said WAS legal is the blanks,which no more harrases them than the marine air horns.
    i have sent a email regarding the bean bags to south carolina DNR.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. gpwelding1

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    also,yes it is against the law to harass birds of prey.BUT,it is legal to defend your livestock from them with nonleathal deterants.now i am just waiting on a responce to my email,to find out if the bean bags fall in that catagory since they are a projectile fired from a weapon.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  7. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Try hanging CDs in the trees. It is supposed to work.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    i am just waiting on a responce to my email

No need to wait, it's NOT legal to shoot at them with anything unless you have a depredation permit, which you aren't likely to get​

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    so if I yell at the hawks am I harrassing them??? [​IMG]

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I won't free range right now due to the hawks! There is a pair of HUGE red tail hawks in our yard and there is another breed of hawks hanging around. My neighbors chickens were attacked 2 weeks ago. Luckily the chicken wasn't hurt!

I'm growing sprouts for my chickens, so they still get their greens. So far the sprouts are growing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by