Non-Medicated Crumble for Marek's vaccinated chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickiee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and Happy Valentine's Day!
    I heard that if your chicks had the Marek's vaccine at the hatchery, then you don't use a medicated Chick Starter. Is this true? My options are the Sprout Chick Starter-Grower Medicated, or Non-Medicated, Crumble for our soon-to-be-here chicks next month.
    Thank you!

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, that is for chicks vaccinated for cocci.

3. Chickiee

Ok, great, so I can start them on the Medicated for the first week or two and then switch to Non-Medicated.
    Thanks!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

For the Cocci blocker in chick feed to work, it's best to feed it to them from week 4 through week 8. That is the period when are leaving their sterile brooder and they are coming in contact with the ground. That is the essential period to feed the blocker, which is all it is. It's not an anti-biotic, merely blocks the cocci from overwhelming their system. Once their own immune system strengthens, there's no benefit anymore.

Frankly, many folks don't feed the medicated at all. The organic minded folks use other means to introduce their chicks to soil, like putting a chunk of sod in the brooder.

5. Chickiee

Then do you start with the Non-Medicated from week 1 - week 4? Then week 4 - week 8 is Medicated? and then after week 8 back to Non-Medicated? I don't mean this to be confusing... just trying to get it straight. Thanks!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most folks who feed medicated start with it and use it right up through 8-10 weeks.

7. Chickiee

Great! Thanks!!

8. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by