Non - Medicated Feed Now I am worried! =(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chasiekitten12, Mar 1, 2015.

1. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    At the feed store the woman said we should use non-medicated feed. The chicks are not vaccinated. Will they be ok? We already bought the feed. Please help me understand this better! Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    This decision is totally up to you. The medicated feed will not hurt them. Medicated feed uses Amprolium to help prevent the young chicks from contracting coccidiosis. Personally I generally use non-medicated, but it's an entirely personal choice, and when the feed store only has the medicated in, I'll still buy it and use it. Doesn't hurt the chicks and is just a personal choice.

1 person likes this.
  3. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Oh ok! Thanks! I was worried about the 7 girls. After all they depend on me.

4. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Pyxis is right. In any case, you might want to find a source of Amprolium in case you need it. Also, good hygiene will help a lot. The people that never see Coccidosis keep the chicks clean and dry because the organisms breed in dampness. Still, it's possible for them to get it even then, so knowing the symptoms and treatment is a good thing. Lots of messages here on this site to help with that.

5. chasiekitten12

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by