Non-medicated vs Medicated chicken starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTMama, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MTMama

MTMama New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    Just ordered my first 6 Buff Orpington chicks. They should be here March22! So exciting.....however I am new to chickens. Do you HAVE to use medicated chicken starter? what are the pros and cons?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The pros and cons are about personal choice really. If you are growing chickens to be 'organic', then you probably want to steer clear of the stuff. Some people do not feed medicated because they want chicks to develop an immunity on their own (be prepared for some to die).

I personally am of the school that exposing your babies to the risk of disease and a horrible death is irresponsible and trying to be 'organic' is very little justification for causing suffering. It's like making your human toddler get over a bladder infection without treatment because you want to raise them 'naturally'.

Sorry, just my soapbox for the day. I think I love my little fuzzybutts too much [​IMG]

3. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I used medicated last year and didn't lose any chicks... never lost a one. Using medicated again this year but this is the final year we're buying stock (except for the occasional new blood influx) so after this year, we're using non-medicated. I'll be prepared for the losses but I want the strongest possible birds, so it'll be acceptable losses.

Like Pele said, it's a personal choice. But I don't consider it irresponsible. Here, it'll be practical.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:I don't use med feed, and don't loose any, if you keep them clean, dry, with fresh food and water, not to hot, you shouldn't have any die with out medicated feed. In fact I lost more with med feed than with out. the toddler with an infection is just wrong they can die with that but do you give that same toddler meds every day because he might get that infection.

I love my fuzzybutts too, i've got 60 right now with 2 trays of ninty to hatch in the next 2 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by