Non organic starter???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by noahsark, Aug 15, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Im worried because I hear you all freeding your meat birds 22-24% starter..My organic starter is only 18 and I think the highest I can get thats medicated starter is 20..I tried eggs this morning they have no intrest..maybe 5 days old is to young for various foods? Do you all eat birds raised on medicated food? and is it a big deal that I can only get 18%?

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i don't... but that's just me.

on your other thread i also suggested this - look for game bird starter.

3. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Purina Mills makes a turkey starter and gamebird starter....the turkey is around 26% and the gamebird 30%.
    some of your purina dealers may stock it, if not ask them to order, it shouldn't take more then a week to
    come in. Hope that helps. [​IMG] Purina dosen't consider themselves all natural (no animal by products) but
    their not organic.

4. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Sorry, my bad...had a typo. Purina DOES consider themselves all natural.

5. noahsark

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Eko...thanks I tried to find my other thread and couldnt..so you suggest an organic gamebird or turkey starter?

6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    definitely, if you can find it. hope this helps! [​IMG] also, on your other thread, i added that you could give them scrambled or hard-boiled eggs to boost the protein.

7. noahsark

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    their not touching the eggs..they may be a bit young yet..only 5 days

8. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    yea they are pretty young still...

do you have a nice hen who could maybe show them how it's done?

9. noahsark

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    My feed store does sell turkey/gamefood crumble...its not a starter though..28%
    Should I go directly to that at 5 days old, or go thru a bag of organic 18% starter first?

10. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    First time I had Freedom Rangers, I feed them about 21% protein (a hand-made blend of Purina Game Bird + Start and Grow. This time I feed Freedom Rangers 18% Purina Start and Grow. I could tell no discernible difference between the high protein and less protein birds.

I don't really KNOW if the protein makes that much of a difference, especially for backyard growers. Low protein birds MAY grow slower and require more feed, but the cost of high protein feed is a lot more. To the best of my knowledge, I also fed Cornish X-rocks 18% feed. In the 3 batches of meat birds I've raised, I've never had any "leg problems".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by