Non-Poisonous & Chicken Proof Plants

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brian, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    What do you have growing amidst your chickens that they don't eat and have no interest in?

I have a 500sq ft pen area off of the coop, and I want to add some plants to create additional shade and predator coverage. Any ideas and personal experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Brian

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I have a bouganvillia tree that Miss Chook has adopted as her favorite hang-out. She yanks a fresh leaf now & again and eats fallen blossoms, but that's all. The bouganvillia has 2-3 inch sharp spines, so it's great cover against hawks-- but a literal pain to prune!!!! And naturally, we have to prune often enuf to keep the trunks clear underneath it at the base, 2 foot or so up to keep HER from getting poked by it, and ya tend to get grabbed, stabbed & scratched in the process!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    As soon as there coop had been built. I am going to replant the blackberry bushes. its perfect for shelter and provides shade while giving them something to snack on

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Hypno, won't blackberry bushes attract snakes?

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I never knew that. thank you for telling me. We are in an area with no snakes... well I never seen one since we moved here 5 years ago. how about some evergreen shrubs?

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    If you keep them pruned up at the bottom you shouldn't have a problem with snakes. They just like the shade and the cover. And get thornless varieties, much less painful to pick them when they ripen! Ouachita is a good one.

7. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i thought the snakes were attracted the birds that are attracted to the blackberries..

8. Does any one know thing about wisteria, I wanted to plant some of that when the weather warms up and let it spread over the run, By planting it in the middle between my dau dog pen and my chicken pen we would both get some shade for the pets, she has mini pens(sorry lousy spelling) small dogs anyway, and it would help us both out.[​IMG] marrie

Owned by 13 RIR,1pitt bull 1 poodle mix 1 yorkie1 great dane and l crabby gray cat

9. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

We have laurel lining our 100 ft uncovered pen and my girls love it. They climp and hang out up high on the braches and use them for shade when its' hot outside..

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by