1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Non Shedding Dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by B. Saffles Farms, Feb 9, 2009.

1. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I have seen several adds for non shedding dogs. I thought all dogs (if they had hair) shed? [​IMG] Are their really dogs out there that dont shed? Thanks in advanced for the help. [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Poodles

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    And Schnauzers.

Non-shedding dogs HAVE to be sheared because their coat never stops growing.

Also, you have to wash them regularly to avoid the dander.

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    yes there is lots of them. Google it....But the down size of it. They need grooming instead. The dogs that shed. SOme have under coat. Like collies and shepperds. THere are the ones the dont have undercoats. WHich is easier on the house and your clothing. Like beagles and dashhounds,pugs. JUst to name a few,Then there is non shedding. Poodles ,shish tzu,maltese. But they need grooming. Expensive at the groomers. Bigger the dog more it cost. i hope this helps...Do you have a breed in mine.??

5. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Yes that helps. No breed in mind really. I just keep seeing these ads and was curious about it. So to keep a non shedding dog from shedding you have to have it groomed? Other wise they would shed?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  6. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    my weenie dog dont really shed...also weenie dogs dont have the doggie odor other dogs have.....when he gets stinky he smells like a dorito chip...

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    You don't HAVE to go to a groomer.
    Mom bought a set of electric shears and I trimmed our poodle growing up. He was raised to be a 'dog' and the only time he went to a groomer he had his nails painted and looked so ashamed. So we never took him back. Just sheared him & trimmed him in the traditional poodle-style ourselves. He was an awesome dog and I would love to have another just like him!

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    laberdoodle, they are poodle and lad mix very nice, great with kids, good protection, and since they have poodle like fur they dont shed.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    We have Maltese and they are non shedding dogs. The reason i have been told, is that regular dogs have fur which falls out and re-grows all the time. Dogs like Maltese, have hair (like us) that continually grows and needs to be cut. Small dogs are more sensitive to cold/hot weather. They are also more fragile if people have small children. There is a breed i think is called a soft coated wheaton terrier that may also have hair and is a bigger heartier dog. I have a customer that has one and he LOVES it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Ah ha, that makes total sense to me now. [​IMG] Thanks for the help. Im not really looking for another dog, I was just confused by those ads. Now I know. You guys are great and thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by