non-toxic Paint???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by khable, May 10, 2007.

  1. khable

    khable Songster

    Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

    We are currently building our first coop and am going to go out today to get some paint. (primer and top coat)

    Everything I read says to use Non-Toxic paint... but what exactly is that??

    I would have assumed all paint is toxic in some form?

    Can someone explain?

    I wanted to go to home depot later and buy a water based outdoor paint. Is this what I do??

    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]


  2. pansophia

    pansophia In the Brooder

    Apr 19, 2007
    Non-toxic could mean Low VOC. VOC's are the fumes that new paint give off.

    When we built our coop we used raw linseed oil on all the 2x4 frame pieces and all the interior plywood. I painted the exterior of the coop and to be honest, I didn't use a low VOC paint. However, we didn't paint anything that the chickens have access to and we gave it a couple of days to "set."

    It's been a week and they certainly don't seem bothered [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: