WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Got a phone call this afternoon from my neighbor, asking if I am missing a duck...
Their dog got Nona Duck!
She suffered some superficial injuries to her neck and chest, is in shock and not eating. I gave her a shower with luke warm water then examined her injuries and sprayed her with Blue Kote.
She drank a little bit of water and pooped three times.
She calmed down somewhat but refuses to sit down and is breathing heavy.
Other than brining her to a vet, how can I find out if she has suffered internal injuries?
That's no blood on her, that's the Blue Kote.

Unfortunately, determining whether internal injuries are present usually requires diagnostic tests done at a vet office. By the sounds of it, you have done a good job caring for the wound. As you stated she is likely in shock, so just letting her rest in a dimly lit, warm area will likely prove helpful.

A concern with all wounds, especially bite wounds, is bacterial contamination. If the injures were left for a few hours, bacteria may have been able to spread into other tissues in her body. That said, it may be good to order some antibiotics, or if you have some already, start her on some. If you have a scale, you may start weighing her daily to track her weight, and determine if tube feeding will be needed if things get worse.

https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-medications

Unfortunately, determining whether internal injuries are present usually requires diagnostic tests done at a vet office. By the sounds of it, you have done a good job caring for the wound. As you stated she is likely in shock, so just letting her rest in a dimly lit, warm area will likely prove helpful.

A concern with all wounds, especially bite wounds, is bacterial contamination. If the injures were left for a few hours, bacteria may have been able to spread into other tissues in her body. That said, it may be good to order some antibiotics, or if you have some already, start her on some. If you have a scale, you may start weighing her daily to track her weight, and determine if tube feeding will be needed if things get worse.

https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-medications
She is too quiet for Nona Duck!
Nona is usually very talkative.
And she isn't drinking, that concerns me most.

She is too quiet for Nona Duck!
Nona is usually very talkative.
And she isn't drinking, that concerns me most.

Fortunately, the not drinking/lethargic/dyspneic part is pretty common for recently attacked birds. On a general basis, these things should subside own their own. If you notice she still isn't drinking and is still dyspneic, after a day or so, it's likely something more serious is going on, and a vet should be seen.

About four hours ago. She is calm and attentive, watching what the humons do in the kitchen, but she is not sitting down and breathing heavy. Sometimes there's a clicking sound when she inhales.
Maybe she's just scared...being in the box in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom