None of my chickens are laying eggs- 7 months old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsA510, Nov 14, 2016.

1. MrsA510

MrsA510 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Hi,

I've done a fair amount of research on this topic and I've been patient... but I finally have to ask. When are my chickens going to lay eggs??? They are 29 weeks old (7 months) and all have a red comp and waddle. I have 1 Welsummer, 1 Light Brahma, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Cochin and 1 Speckled Sussex. I figured at this age I would have at least one producing some eggs. I live in Northern California and the weather is still warm and sunny with 10 hrs of sunlight. They have a great coop and free-range for part of the day. I've checked around the backyard looking for hidden nests and didn't find any eggs.

What gives?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Erin

2. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop

Hi Erin- just to be sure (maybe you're already doing this) are they in one place until the afternoon so you can make Certain they aren't laying somewhere? Like in the coop with the best boxes or in a closed run? That'd be my suggestion of you haven't tried that yet. :)

3. MrsA510

Feb 1, 2016
    Most of the time I don't let them out of their coop/run until after 11 or so. Some days I don't let them out at all. Tried that for 3 days in a row last week and still no eggs.

4. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    Okay. What are they eating?

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    How long has it been since their combs turned red? I've found mine start laying between a week and a month after it reddens up. Are they squatting?
    Excellent advice on seeing if they could be laying elsewhere.
    I've had welsummers but none of the other breeds you mentioned and the welsummers were the oldest I ever had start laying. They were over eight months old, close to nine, and they didn't start until we were past the winter solstice and the days started getting longer.
    I have some that just passed the six month mark and I'm still waiting for eggs from them.
    [​IMG]

6. MrsA510

Feb 1, 2016
    Organic layer feed, organic scratch, healthy table scraps and weeds. I also offer crushed egg shells.

7. bald Rooster

bald Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2016
    Orlando area
    I bought 12 baby on April 28 they were a few days old. I lost five to a couple different things. The remaning 7 are doing fine.
    One turned out to be a nice Rooster.
    As far as eggs go my Speckled hen started laying in aug. just over 4 months.none of the others did till well into 5 months old.
    I have one hen that still isn't laying. And Ive noticed a slight slowing of eggs the last week from all.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I was given 5 Blue Wynadotte Pullets last month, they were about 28wks now 32wks & still not laying :(

The lady I got them from had them on Layer since they were 18wks, I prefer MultiPurpose or Flock until they lay but she said "they'll be laying soon" and gave me the bag. I do FF so it lasts "forever". Their combs/wattles have been red this past week but I'm thinking maybe the end of the month. No squatting yet but they're now showing interest in the nest box.

When they start laying and/or she finds a Blue Cock, 3 will go back to her. There are no Blues here in the Islands of Hawaii and they are pretty. This is a pic of them when I first got them....

[​IMG]

10. MrsA510

Feb 1, 2016
    They have been on layer feed since they were about 22/23 weeks old. They are out of food, so I will go back to the grower food. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by