None of my chickens are laying

PH0E

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2018
West Michigan
I got my chickens at a few days old in the middle of april. I have 3 silver laced wyandottes and 3 Americanas. They should be about 21 weeks. We are giving them food which was recommended by an experienced chicken owner. Friends of ours got chickens 1 month after us and theirs are laying. Any suggestions or knowledge you all can.share would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club. :hitSorry. Mine are at 24 weeks and still not laying. So far, the advice that I've received is to feed the girls more protein. So I am! I hope it works for you. In the meantime, I am becoming more virtuous. Patience isn't the worst thing in the world, even when you check the nesting boxes every day. At least I'm not checking it twice a day like I was back at 19 weeks. :fl Hang in there!

I got my chickens at a few days old in the middle of april. I have 3 silver laced wyandottes and 3 Americanas. They should be about 21 weeks. We are giving them food which was recommended by an experienced chicken owner. Friends of ours got chickens 1 month after us and theirs are laying. Any suggestions or knowledge you all can.share would be appreciated.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

21 weeks is still well within range... and as light diminishes could even take longer.

Please do tell... what this experienced chicken owner told you to feed? Some people who "have been doing it that way forever and never had a problem"... could still be doing it the wrong way and their version of a problem might be much different than mine.. as they may simply not notice, not care, or not be informed correctly.. while I notice EVERYTHING. Getting second opinions is always a good idea, as I have been told inaccurate information even by people who were thought to be trusted advisers. :)

Any treats or supplements given on a regular basis?

Most my Feb born chicks lay in July. That would put yours getting pretty close. All are individual though, and as stated... age can vary drastically even in the same breed. My BR started at 20, 24, and 28 week, 2 months difference! Had some EE lay at 18 weeks... when hatched earlier in the year... it is also light dependent so what time they get let out or go up may have an impact in addition to the general maturity.

Have you placed fake eggs in the nest? This really helps with my EE who wanna hide their eggs if they think they disappear everyday due to predator. It helps show them this is a safe place that other gals lay. And can also help deter any curiosity peck that might break a real for a happy accidental reward inside.

My Wyandottes laid late for me... I don't keep them anymore. Many factors go into laying.. breed, daylight, feed, and genetics are the main ones I can think of.

Many ladies will become real vocal, kinda squawking. Some even practice the egg song or sing it when they get startled as they close to laying. Some will squat if you quickly put your hand over them. And their combs become a bit redder. Some of these signs can take place up to a month before an actual egg. Inspecting boxes, and pacing in and out, sometimes even practice sitting... usually happens about the same week you will see an egg.

Luckily though... they are coming soon! :woot

It is pretty much layer feed but ingredients are sold in different bags and it cuts our feeble bill in half.
They do not free range as I am certain my dogs would hurt them while trying to herd them. But they have a store bought coup and a 15x6 foot walk in run that me and my dad built. It is funny watching them come flying through the run when they see my dogs running outside.

Some of the features on their head and face are super red and I heard one super loud squawk the other day...they one was laid but nada. Did get fake eggs and put them in the boxes the other day also.

It is pretty much layer feed but ingredients are sold in different bags and it cuts our feeble bill in half.
e.

This is not a good idea, making “ layer feed” is not possible with much weighing and very specific ingredients, saving money on feed now can cost you egg loss and the hens health later.

If you share what you’re feeding maybe then others can tell you what to add to make it healthy for them :)

And yes , it’s a little early for them

Back
Top Bottom