None of my chickens like me. xD

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barbeque, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    They seem to enjoy making me feel like a monster, when in reality, they have it good.
    I give them food, clean fresh water, a coop, lotsa munching bugs and grass, and I don't plan to eat them....
    Ridiculous.
    [​IMG]

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

The two BR/EE ones we have are crazy skittish... even when I put down the food container (which they should bloody well recognize by now) they still freak and squawk. Our GSLs are not like that at all. They'll investigate anything as a possible treat. Today it was my ring that one thought looked tastey.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    All I have to do is step out the door and call "here chick chick" and the entire flock is at my feet. Maybe you should try to give them treats or something when they interact positively with you? Hope it gets better.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    my 4 BR girls if you sit in a chair by their coop will come sit on your lap for snuggles, my cochin both the roo and the pullet will come sit on our shoulders, even our EE rooster who is way to big will come sit on our lap.

We don't go after them we sit and wait for them to come to us.....we don't really give treats much any more now that they are free range they get their own treats.
    Every now and then I will mix some corn tortilla mix and roll then into tiny balls and they love that.

My 5 kids all handle the chickens and the roosters every day but they aren't allow to chase after them becaus it becomes routine very quickly if you chase them thats what they learn. OOO big scary hand runnn........

Sit in 1 place with something they like in your hand or on a plate in your lap while your sitting on the ground gradually slowly reach over touch them eventually they get use to your hand being there. Speak softly avoid sudden movements if they are already skittish.

If you repeat this daily, they learn it is a routine and will pick up on it quickly.

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    They just don't know you yet. I don't know how old yours are, but go to my page to see what I do for taming...

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm about ready to trade for some chicks that hate me. The ones I have somehow imprinted and they spend the ENTIRE night screaming unless they can see or hear me *facepalm*

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Maybe you should hang a pic of yourself in their coop. It may help them be quiet at night [​IMG]

8. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    How old are your chicks? What breed? My'n lovvvvvvve me!!!!! lol! They jump and and fly out of the brooder and on to my lap everytime I come to play with them! And when I say Hiiii Guyyyyss they chirp and get all excited! Just do a lot of hand feeding with them and give them many treats....they will start to like you.

I lovvvvvvve my chicks!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two 13 week old pullets one is a EE and one is a Barred Rock. Both of them LOOOOVE me.

BUT

I just got four 9 week old Wyandottes and they FREAK out anytime I open the brooder top to feed or water them. They are in the brooder for quarantine BTW* lol. But they are very flighty of me. I spend time with them and am trying to get them used to me but hopefully it will happen soon [​IMG]

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:No kidding! I'm thinking of making a recording my computer can play near the brooder on loop of me saying cheep cheep. They seem to quiet down when I do that if I'm at least nearby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by