none of our girls has an infection or something has anyone seen this. we have given tetracylene and

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kathyandmark, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Kathyandmark

Kathyandmark Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kathyandmark

Sep 30, 2012
    I mean 1 one of the girls

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Oh, that looks like pneumovirus or myco. Are they also raspy/gurgling/ when breathing?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Kathyandmark

Sep 30, 2012
    No she sounds fine just this growth/infection

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    That's good no respiratory infections, I'd agree with giving her Tylosin or tetracycline antibiotics. They can help reduce symptoms, but will not totally eliminate the infection. But keep an eye out for signs/symptoms of respiratory issues. That will help pinpoint. If possible a vet trip may be needed.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any bad odor, or was there before you gave antibiotics? Have you had any fowl pox in your flock? Both pictures are out of focus--it almost looks like dark spots on the face. If no fowl pox, I would guess either coryza or a bad strain of mycoplasma. I would definitely give Tylan 50 injections if no bad odor, or give Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine) is there is a bad odor that may be coryza. Here is a list of diseases with symptoms to read: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. Kathyandmark

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hello Everyone, My husband was the one that posted the pictures of our sick chick.. However I don't think he explained it the best.. Our girl has the masses on only her head. She seems fine other wise, no lung issues, seems to be eating good, I even go and try to feed her outside alone so she gets food the other girls keep her at bay either she is the runt or cause they know she is sick.. We have talked to someone and they said it could be a ear infection... If we put on the Neosporin after a bit it softens this stuff and it comes off but she bleeds.. seems we do this but its back the next day maybe even more.. we have done some antibiodics but not sure if we are giving the right amount or amount of time... Could someone please help out this is our first flock, we have had them for a little over a year and we have not lost anyone... and don't want to.. they are our pets and mean a lot to our special needs boys who helped raise them.. Thank you for all your information.. We are lucky to have a web site like this... Oh yes,,. the stuff stinks.. when it comes off it give a horrible smell.. not sure if this is important.. I have sent pictures since I posted this...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post more pictures? It looks like it could be fowl pox... not saying that it is, just looks like it *could* be. Several of mine had something similar, which also had a foul smell and it *was* pox.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She needs to be inside and needs to be tube fed fluids if she isn't drinkin, then fluids and baby bird food. Read the tubing info in the link below.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Also, check inside her mouth and throat for pus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by