NONONO!!! I think it's trying to CROW!!! Added pics for eye candy!! :)

wyo-helpmeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
West TN
hit.gif
My favouritest chick (3 weeks tomorrow & an EE) I think is trying to crow!!
barnie.gif
Unless I can convince the neighbors to keep it, I can't have a roo
hit.gif
Basically is opens it's mouth, stretches it's neck & nothing comes out, but at the end of it, it chirps.
hit.gif
I have done SO good at not becoming attached until we can sex them, but this one has just really tugged my heart strings!!!
hit.gif

Console me, convince me otherwise, something
hit.gif

Last edited:
If its any help..

Maybe you chick just thinks it funny to torment you?

If it does turn out to be a boy, someone on here somewhere (i think it was on here) built a 'cock box' (bad name isnt it).

Basically it was a box under the nest boxes, that stayed nice and dark and was too low for the boys to crow properly. They let him out at a reasonable hour when everyone was already awake and therefore not cranky about him crowing...

Telling the neighbours he wont be waking them up 5am is definately a selling point

Quote:
LOL, I do hope SHE is trying to torment me!!!

I actually ran the rooster box & 9am by a neighbor yesterday & she didn't bat a lash except to say good luck. One down.....

Don't despair, just yet.

All of my chicks, as well as many other kinds of birds that I've observed, engage in the behavior similar to what you describe -- they're just moving food from their crops down into their stomachs.

Your chick might be a rooster, but I wouldn't count on it based only on this behavior.

Quote:
A little young, but not impossible.
Using a box to prevent crowing doesn't work. A rooster will find a way to crow, unless you duct tape his mouth shut; which is what I threatened my Thor with today.

Oh thank you!! I do hope it's food or yawning!!! Do I need to keep an eye on it for anything abnormal? Besides crowing.
lol.png

Quote:
A little young, but not impossible.
Using a box to prevent crowing doesn't work. A rooster will find a way to crow, unless you duct tape his mouth shut; which is what I threatened my Thor with today.

Not preventing a roo from crowing, just preventing the neighbors from hearing him
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom