Nonononono....shipped egg nightmare

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I ordered from ebay, 10+ buckeye eggs. I paid instant (paypal) on dec 8th and got shipping notification like 3 days ago...checked tracking number and it's just the electronic notification. So, it's been 9 days total since I paid. I emailed to inquire about actual transfer to USPS and was told hours later that they anticipaate actually shipping TODAY.

I wrote back that I am very concerned because shipping on a FRIDAY in the winter means a likely cold stay somewhere over the weekend. And, asked if the eggs are being shipped fresh or if they have sat since I paid...because I worry about waning fertility if they are aging.

WTHeck??

Grrrrr.

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Ugh! [​IMG] I feel so sorry for you, clearly you are dealing with an idiot!!! [​IMG]

I sure hope you get something good out of this hatch and convince them to send you fresh eggs on Monday. [​IMG]

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    And seriously, I don't even mind a shipping delay of like 2 weeks if it means fresh eggs....9 days after payment with not even mentioning they have not been shipped, then trying to ship on a Friday....d'oh. And here I thought the shipping notifiction like 3 days ago meant they were on their way...

[​IMG]

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    sorry to hear that. I thought my shipped eggs would never arrive and when they did none of them hatched! [​IMG]

Its ok though I tryed again without shipped eggs and now have 8 little babies running around! [​IMG]

Hope you find your eggs and theyre delivered safel and securely and FRESH! [​IMG]

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    You don't really have to worry about the eggs getting "cold" since they have not started incubating at all.
    I have taken eggs out of the refrigerator and hatched them like some folks do with the Trader Joe eggs.

Also, I'm thinking that the shipper will NOT ship you the eggs he gathered over 8 days ago. That's insane.

(But maybe you should ask anyway.)

Even still, eggs 8 days old do have a good chance of hatching; I just would rather get "fresh" eggs when I'm paying for them.

[​IMG]

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    By cold, I mean below freezing...IMO that's asking for trouble.

7. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Ouch!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Mommamarcy, the mail still moves on the weekends, so hopefully you will get your eggs on monday. I have had a few ebayers who were bad at shipping eggs, all kind of stupid excuses. I have received other eggs from ebay that were wonderfully packaged, shipped promptly, and hatched great. I spend time now on reading a sellers feedback, and never buy anything anymore from new sellers or those with less than 98% satisfaction rating.

9. AlienChick

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, that's true.
    Even tho the post office is "closed" to the public, the mail is still moving.

[​IMG]

10. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    It may still be moving, but if they ship (just an example) on a Friday since the PO does not deliver on Sundays I would not get it till Monday...whereas shipping on Monday would likely land here on a Wednesday. That's 4 days vs 3, and the lives of tiny zygotes waiting to turn to embryos that extra day can make a difference. [​IMG] When I'm paying for them, and was expecting them to already have shipped, and then findign out they may go out over the weekend, and they may be old...ok, I feel my heart starting to race.

They did respond that they will wait till Monday to ship if I want, to which I replied that'd be excellent assuming they will be FRESH eggs on Monday.

I do not want old eggs. I do not want old eggs sitting at the post office an extra day. Period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by