1. chickensarefamily2me2

chickensarefamily2me2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have a one year old yellow Buff Orpington named Cyndi. For the past few days, she has done nothing but yawn. And it's odd. She stretches her head up, closes her eyes, and opens her beak as wide as she can. She won't stand up and is rather thin now. Anything I can do for her? She's not really doing much. She ate two bites of food this morning as far as I know. And she's sneezing. Loudly. Her comb is really ugly, not a nice pretty proper red. She... just... looks sick. There isn't anything caught in her mouth, I've looked.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Have you felt her crop? Sometimes long strands of grass will get tangled in the crop, and sometimes you can feel it.

3. chickensarefamily2me2

Jul 13, 2011
    I just felt it. It's either empty or squisy. I know that isn't spelled right... I'm betting more towards empty. If it is squisy, what would I do?

4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Well, that would be called impacted crop so, if you look it up on Youtube, they have videos where they wrap the chicken up and cut the crop open (with out any painkiller, they don't tend feel it) and pull out the stuff, and the crop will heal up by itself I heard.

5. chickensarefamily2me2

Jul 13, 2011
    I can't do that.... I'm only eighteen. And I faint at the sight of blood. I have a Dad, but according to him, it's just a chicken. I don't want her to suffer, but I don't have enough money to afford a vet. Nor do I have a vet.

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Here is a video of my girl that has possible gapeworm

The vet gave her a panacur suspension. If you have a vet you may be able to call and ask if they can give this to you. It is based off of weight so you will have to stand on your scale with your chicken, then without and figure out the difference. If not there is safeguard for goats that you can give. You can find measurements on the web boards here.

If her crop is big and squishy (like a big water ballooon) she may have either an impacted or sour crop. I would first start off by regurgitating her and then giving her olive oil and yogurt. If it fills back up with "water" you should go and get some Monistat 3 or 7 which ever and start giving her that.

If while feeling around in her crop you feel something hard or bulging then it is probably impacted. You should regurgitate and then do the oil and try to massage it through.

This is my girl with a sour crop.

7. chickensarefamily2me2

Jul 13, 2011
    Cyndi died at 8:13 Texas time. Thank you to everyone for the help. Cyndi will be missed, and was a great part of the coop. Now I have to keep on eye on her best buddy Ursula....

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    [​IMG]

Sorry hun

9. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm so sorry, and I should of thought of that before (I too don't like seeing blood) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by