Noob from in Southeast Texas

MelTX

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
Beaumont, Texas
Howdy all!

I'm new to the world of chickens and will be getting our first hens in the spring. My 4 year old son fell in love with the RIR hens my uncle had and since we live in the city, I've been shopping for a good backyard mobile coop.

We are planning on getting a couple of buff orpingtons to start our chicken rearing since I read such good things about their temperament.

We have a big back yard with a high privacy fence that the girls will be able to "roam" in the afternoons to have some time out of the coop.

Are there any Texas chicken parents on here with hints/tips on orpingtons and the heat down here?

Also any tips on broody breaking since I read that orps go broody often and we won't be able to hatch and rear any young chicks in our set-up.

I've never raised chickens, let alone young ones so I have been checking out the brooding tips on this forum.

Also I'd love to hear about any other breeds that are good with kids/good backyard chickens for a later date, if we decide to add to our flock.

This is a FAB forum with lots of great info that I've been reading over for a couple months now and I'm glad to join!

--Mel

Welcome to this forum. I am in Austin, TX and the bird doing fine with TX weather as long as we have good cage to protect from the sun in the summer and the north wind in the winter. You can also chat with lots of Texans in the threat "Texas". Best of luck with your chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi and :welcome

Good luck with your new chooks, and have fun! :D
I've heard that Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers are also nice and friendly.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! You can break a broody by putting her in a wire bottom cage for a few days with only food and water, no nesting materials. This method usually takes about 3-4 days, but it quite effective. Have you visited the Learning Center yet? There are some wonderful articles on different aspects of chicken raising, choosing breeds etc there. Also look at the Breeds section for more on the different breeds and reviews. Enjoy the site!

Thanks all for the nice welcome! And for the broody breaking advice. I am now kicking it over at the Texas form. Lots of great info here!

welcome-byc.gif
from North Texas!! Our two Buff Orpingtons get along fine in the heat. We do keep fans in the coop and a fan/mister on the run. Also, shade and cool fresh water are crucial during hot Texas summer months.

Back
Top Bottom