noob from the MS coast

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dmkaiser83, Feb 23, 2014.

1. dmkaiser83

dmkaiser83 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    hey! I found this forum thanks to google and found so much awesome information I had to join.
    I currently have 9 chicks in a brooder in my kitchen LOL 3 australorp, 3 barred rock, 3 white rock or white leghorn, they are a bit of a mystery. I also have one chick in a sick bay, she's a red pullet from tractor supply. That's where I work. I've brought home 6 chicks that have been sick and she's the only one left. I also have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, a ferret, and a horse, 3 kids, and a husband in the Navy. it's a full house and it's always an adventure around here.
    Hoping to finish up the coop over the next couple of weeks. I decided on an A frame design with one end dedicated to the coop instead of the entire top half. Trying my hardest to make it as predator resistant as possible and still have good air flow since mississippi summers can be brutal. right now the total area is 8 ft wide and 12 ft long and the coop is double decker and I'm still working out the kinks. my chicks are only about 3 weeks old so we still have time to get it done.
    I look forward to learning more as time goes on!

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi! Welcome to BYC, we're happy to have you here.

[​IMG]

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the sick chick hasn't passed the illness on to your others.

6. dmkaiser83

Feb 21, 2014
    The sick chicks are kept away from the healthy ones. They've never been in contact at all. I'm an obsessive hand washer and water changer and poop scooper. Thanks for all the welcomes! This isn't my first time with chickens, but it has been awhile.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

What is wrong with this sick chick? What symptoms does she have? You might want to keep this one warmer than the other brooders temp. Sick birds need more heat than healthy ones. If the chick is not eating well, feed the baby some crushed up hard boiled eggs. Eggs are good emergency food for birds and sick birds tend to not want to eat their starter feed. So to keep the bird alive while she is healing, feed her what ever she will eat.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

8. dmkaiser83

Feb 21, 2014
    I'm about 90% sure the other 5 died from coccidiosis. Black blob poops, lethargic, not moving around. This chick was just starting to get sick when a coworker called me to come get her. Was finally able to get some corrid too. Had 2 that didn't respond to the corid but this one is up and moving and eating and drinking and pooping normal. She's going to be quarantined for at least a week.

9. dmkaiser83

Feb 21, 2014
    Her temp is at 90 right now and she's in a Rubbermaid tub with corid water, food, and pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by